Wednesday 9 March 2011

Magnesium Alloys and surface treatments

I'm lucky to have some very good contacts in the metal industry having worked with the Metal Man himself Marc Rich in London and New York.

I asked for some advice on how safe this magnesium alloy is to work with. I had already cut a sample out for the assay with no problems, but I wanted to check to be safe.

I have been advised that I should take particular care with the swarf and dust while working with the alloy.

An excellent source for information on Magnesium is Magnesium Elektron, they have branches all over the world.

Two relevant docs are -

Machining Magnesium datasheet

Suface treatments, if untreated magnesium alloys could well turn to power

Lots to think about on how to tackle the chassis.

No comments:

Post a Comment